Transform your roof into a Stormwater Management Tool! Start at the Sluiceway
At booth #23, Rodney Chaney will measure and compare water retention as well as heat transfer on vegetated roofs vs black roofs.. It is a great opportunity to get up close and personal with innovative green roof technology. Touch, feel and witness how a green roof plays a vital role in retaining and detaining rainfall, attenuating stormwater, mitigating the urban heat island effect and reducing the environmental footprint.
Vegetated roofing systems reduce the environmental footprint in many ways, simultaneously.
• Water: The green roof helps detain and retain rainfall at its source and therefore control runoff.
• Energy saving: Through shading, insulation and evaporative cooling the green roof therefore helps reduce energy use.
• Climate: Green roof reduces flash floods and combined sewage overflow. It addition, it mitigates the urban heat island effect.
Stormwater is the main way pollution gets into the rivers and waterways
A good rainfall really cleans the city streets. All the road salt, cigarette butts, animal feces, antifreeze, dust, automotive rubber and metal — all is swept up in the rain, into the storm sewers and therefore into our waterways.
The Sluiceway will illustrate this with an interactive demonstration of the how green roof systems help retain and detain rainfall.
How Green Roofs Help
Volunteers can pour gallons of water onto two sloping platforms. Platform One will mimic a typical roof and feature a waterproofing membrane. Trash and that would be found on city walk and road ways and end up in the sewer system. Platform two features the StormCap pre-vegetated system that collects rainfall and helps with stormwater management. At the end of each platform a storage bin will collect the “rainfall” and trash. The audience will witness the performance of the StormCap vegetated roofing system and learn why vegetative roofing technology plays a key role in stormwater management.
Image to the left depicts green roof benefits of protecting and cooling a building and capturing stormwater at the source.
Urbanscape’s Needled Mineral Blanket – Ideal for Vegetated Roofs
- It can can supplement or, in some cases, replace heavy growing media.
- It can act as a water reservoir while supporting plant health.
- It achieves more credits under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) program (The material contributes to eight additional points under LEED v4. These include credits in the Sustainable Sites [Protect or Restore Habitat, Open Space, Rainwater Management, and Heat Island Reduction], Energy and Atmosphere [Optimize Energy Performance],
- Materials and Resources [Environmental Product Declarations], and Indoor Environmental Quality [Thermal Comfort and Acoustic Performance] categories.); and
- It performs exceptionally and reliably as a rooftop stormwater management tool throughout the lifespan of the vegetated roof (as seen on Sweden’s Karolinska University Hospital, Rentenversicherung headquarters in Berlin, and various projects throughout Baltic and Scandinavian countries).
Needled Mineral Hydro Blanket comes in a roll and has a density of 286 to 319 lb/35 cf. It is also available as Hydro Cubes (0.8 x 0.8 in) and Hydro Flocks (0.1 to 0.8 in.) and is recommended for containers, patios, terraces and ground level landscaping applications. Cubes and flocks are added to a traditional growing medium and contribute to better soil structure, water-holding capacity, and aeration. The retained rainwater inside the Hydro Cubes or Hydro Flocks is easily available for plant uptake and improves plant survivability.
Please visit us and Rodney Chaney at Stormwater Capture Co Booth #23.
Stormwater Capture Co offers a single source solution for a complete green roof system package . We customize your system to local requirements and provide warranty and support. We are a one-stop-shop supplying vegetated mats, high performing base layers, pavers and accessories.